Erica Reid Educator

Educational Goals

Eight years ago I found myself in a position to learn the Haida language. Working as an Information and Technology Assistant at the Skidegate Haida Immersion Program translating, transcribing and digitizing the southern dialect (X̱aayda Kil) of the Haida language spoken by the last of our fluent speaking elders. It was there that I learned the unified orthography used by the northern, southern and Alaskan dialect speakers to write, read and improve my speech. All these years later I have become an advocate for our Haida language and am relentlessly working to complete my university education so the Haida language will have a place in the public school system on Haida Gwaii. Since completing my certificate, diploma and developmental standard teaching certificate in Haida Language and Culture I have come to realize that my desire to teach the language can benefit all children. Our Haida epistemology has so much to offer the children of our communities, Haida Gwaii, British Columbia and Canada. Our Haida language and ways of knowing offer daily tools for love, respect, ceremony, and culture for self, others, our world and ancestors. I would like to see these Haida values infused in the public school system and I know that the language, culture and ceremonies will heal and change the lives of the learners as it has in my life. 

I am hardworking, determined, passionate, grounded, sober and I am looking to be the change I want to see in this world for my kids, the youth, my community and the world to be in a place of love and not fear. I am extremely excited to complete my degree as an elementary school teacher and I will do so this year!